Kelly Grigg, a family lawyer at Richard Nelson LLP, outlines what the court takes into account when it makes a decision on a divorce settlement and money for both parties.
Richard Nelson LLP is a leading firm for 2021, part of the legal 500. Our family lawyers have been accredited by the Law Society for Family Law and Children Law.
What does the court take into account when it makes a decision?
When the Court is considering making a financial order, it has to take into account the S25 criteria set out in the Matrimonial Causes Act of 1973. Those factors include the income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including;
- The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future
- The standard of living of the family before the breakdown of the marriage
- The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage
- Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage
- The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family
- The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be unfair to disregard it
Work with a family law specialist
Kelly Grigg is a family solicitor with a wealth of experience helping a wide range of clients on family law matters.
With years of experience comes the understanding that every family is different. Kelly offers assistance and representation at court on family law matters including divorce and separation; pre- and post-nuptial agreements; children matters; unmarried couples; financial matters; and domestic abuse and protection orders.
At what is a stressful and emotional time, Kelly prides herself in avoiding legal speak. She will clearly explain your options and the processes involved, so you feel in control every step of the way.
Kelly understands that family life can be hectic at the best of times and is happy to make arrangements for out of hours appointments where needed.
“I really can’t thank you enough for all you have done for me with my divorce. The process has been made easier by your understanding of my situation and the care you have provided. I breathe a sigh of relief that it’s nearly over and my future is a whole lot happier and brighter.”
“Kelly is a professional, friendly and supportive Solicitor. She helped my son gain access to his daughter, advising him every step of the way. I would highly recommend Kelly.”