Code of Practice 8 (COP 8) Investigation Specialists
Code of Practice 8 investigations, otherwise known as COP 8, generally arise where HMRC suspect that artificial tax arrangements or avoidance schemes have been used to underpay tax. COP 8 is unlikely to involve allegations of serious tax fraud and should remain a civil tax investigation if handled carefully. However, if during the process it appears that HMRC fraud is involved then it could be upgraded to COP 9 or even a full tax fraud investigation.
Our specialists have significant experience and boast an outstanding success rate in assisting people facing a COP 8 tax investigation.
Get in touch
If you have received a COP 8 letter from HMRC, contact our team without delay and speak to one of our tax litigation lawyers. You can contact our team via the following means:
- Requesting a free call back using the form on the right
- Phoning us during office hours on 0845 216 2000
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Solicitor or Accountant?
If you are considering contacting an accountant or a solicitor regarding a COP 8 investigation, you should be aware that information you provide to your solicitor enjoys a special status called legal professional privilege.
Your accountant cannot provide this protection, although they may be able to gain it if they are instructed by a solicitor. If an assessment of the tax due is required, and there is to be a report prepared about your tax affairs, we can instruct an accountant on your behalf.
Who Can Help You?
What we do...
Our team contains experienced COP 8 investigation lawyers and solicitors. We know how important it is to resolve Code of Practice 8 investigations quickly, whilst also protecting you liberty and privacy, and restricting the financial consequences. Our tax investigation services include:
- Immediate responses to dawn raids, arrests and interviews under caution;
- The quick arrangement of advice and assistance for you, including meeting as appropriate, for all aspects of COP 8 investigations;
- Drawing upon close working relationships with independent tax consultants, forensic tax accountants, and specialist tax barristers, so that we can involve them in your case if necessary;
- Helping you to avoid a HMRC criminal investigation if one has not already started, by a carefully managed disclosure to HMRC where appropriate;
- Minimising the effects of an existing tax fraud investigation and helping to convert it to a civil solution;
- The robust defence of a tax fraud prosecution, including challenging Restraint Orders and Confiscation proceedings;
- We act for taxpayers anywhere in England and Wales, including in London (but not at London prices).