Application for the Removal of a Prohibition Order

Home → Lawyers for Teachers → Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) → Application for the Removal of a Prohibition Order


When can a prohibition order be set aside?

When a prohibition order is made, the Secretary of State will decide the minimum number of years which needs to expire before the teacher can apply to the TRA to have the prohibition order set aside. The minimum amount of time set will be two years. However, some prohibition orders can never be set aside.

The amount of time required before you can apply for your prohibition order to be set aside will be made clear in the determination at the original hearing.


How to set aside a prohibition order

An application needs to be made to the TRA to set aside a prohibition order. A hearing will take place, to determine whether it is appropriate to set aside the prohibition order.


What makes it more likely that a prohibition order will be set aside?

The Panel of the TRA in deciding whether to set aside a prohibition order, will need to be persuaded by the teacher that this is appropriate. The Panel will expect the teacher to have reflected on what happened and they will want to see evidence that the teacher has remorse for their misconduct, has insight into what went wrong and why and that they have remediated any past failings. The Panel will also want to hear about what the teacher has been doing since the prohibition order has been made and how they have kept up to date with education.


Other articles you may be interest in

GCSE Physics revision book and a Casio calculator

How to Appeal GCSE Results


TRA Hearing Information Sheet


Appealing a Decision Made by the TRA

1 of 3
Arrange a call today

Are you an individual or business looking for legal advice and representation?

Speak to a lawyer
  • Award-winning service
  • Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • Benchmark for quality