Appeals Against the Decision of the Traffic Commissioner
If you are unhappy with the decision of the Traffic Commissioner, you are entitled to appeal to the Upper Tribunal.
For example, you may be unhappy with a decision:
- To refuse your application for an Operator’s Licence (or variation to an existing licence);
- To suspend, curtail or revoke a licence;
- Regarding the repute or professional competence of a Transport Manager;
- Regarding an individual driver’s vocational entitlement;
- To disqualify an individual or entity from holding an Operator’s Licence.
The grounds on which you can appeal can include:
- The decision of the Traffic Commissioner was wrong;
- The Traffic Commissioner misdirected themselves or applied the wrong law;
- The Traffic Commissioner failed to take into account something which they ought properly to have taken into account;
- The Traffic Commissioner took something into account which ought not to have been taken into account.
Once they have heard your case, the Upper Tribunal can do one of the following:
- Refuse your appeal and uphold the original decision of the Traffic Commissioner;
- Overturn the decision of the Traffic Commissioner and implement a new decision;
- Revert the matter back to the Traffic Commissioner (which can be a different Commissioner if appropriate) for a rehearing.
It is open to you to apply for a stay of the Traffic Commissioner’s decision pending the appeal. An application of this nature is made to the Traffic Commissioner in the first instance but can be reviewed by the Upper Tribunal if a stay is refused.
If you are considering an appeal following an unfavourable decision by the Traffic Commissioner, get in touch with Richard Nelson LLP. Our transport solicitors will advise you on the merits of any potential appeal and assist you if you decide to go ahead with it. Get in touch with us to find out more.
What We Do
Our experienced lawyers can help you at every stage of an appeal against the Traffic Commissioner. Our services include:
– Drafting Grounds of Appeal;
– Applying for a stay of the Traffic Commissioner’s decision;
– Representing you through the appeal;
– Representing you in the event that your case is remitted to the Traffic Commissioner for a rehearing.
Our multidisciplinary team is made up of specialists in a wide range of services, which means you'll always be represented by an expert in your area.
No-strings initial call
Get in touch to arrange a no-obligation, fully confidential call to discuss your case and work out if you want to continue.
Speak to solicitors in one of our offices throughout England and Wales, or arrange calls and remote meetings.
Proudly proving excellence
Stay in touch with Richard Nelson LLP.
Divorcing a Narcissist: 7 Proven Legal Tactics
Richard Nelson LLP in the Chambers UK Legal Guide 2024
Richard Nelson LLP recognised in The Legal 500 for 2024
Contact our legal advice specialists today.
Are you interested in Appeals Against the Traffic Commissioner?
Use the form on the right to get in touch with our team and arrange an initial call to discuss your situation. We will use this no-obligation, fully confidential initial call to learn more about your case and help you understand your options going forward.
"*" indicates required fields