At Richard Nelson LLP, our experienced lawyers can advise and represent doctors in coroner inquests.
If a patient has died in violent circumstances, or of unnatural or unknown causes, or 24 hours after admission to a hospital or after surgery, then there may be an inquest. Inquests are legal procedures to enable a coroner to decide who died, when, where, how and in what circumstances.
It is common for a doctor to give evidence in a coroner inquest where they have been involved in the patient’s care. Giving evidence at an inquest can be straightforward. However, if a doctor is regarded in an inquest as being an ‘interested person’ they will have a right to their own legal representation.Contact Us
There are many reasons why a doctor may need their own independent legal representation in an inquest, including:
- The NHS Trust will have its lawyers, but they will focus on protecting the Trust. There may be circumstances where there is a potential conflict of interest between the Trust and the individual doctor;
- The family of the deceased are likely to be legally represented and might be hostile towards the doctor. The doctor having their own legal representation will provide equality of arms;
- If a coroner’s inquest goes badly for a doctor, it can be damaging to a doctor’s reputation and may even lead to subsequent litigation;
- A coroner can refer a doctor to the GMC following an inquest if they consider that this may prevent a reoccurrence of an incident which caused the death;
- If a doctor is criticised in an official inquiry, which can include a coroner’s inquest, the doctor has a duty to self-report this to the GMC.
Richard Nelson LLP’s solcitors are experienced at representing doctors at coroner inquests and will ensure that you are prepared, that your case is presented in the best light possible and that your interests are protected in relation to the GMC.
Richard Nelson LLP’s GMC lawyers offer impartial advice on a range of related matters:
– GMC Interim Orders
– GMC Appeals
– GMC Fitness to Practise
– Coroner Inquests
– GMC Investigations
– GMC Registration
– GMC Restoration
– GMC Revalidation
– GMC Trust Disciplinary
Our multidisciplinary team is made up of specialists in a wide range of services, which means you'll always be represented by an expert in your area.
No-strings initial call
Get in touch to arrange a no-obligation, fully confidential call to discuss your case and work out if you want to continue.
Speak to solicitors in one of our offices throughout England and Wales, or arrange calls and remote meetings.
Proudly proving excellence
Stay in touch with Richard Nelson LLP.
Divorcing a Narcissist: 7 Proven Legal Tactics
Richard Nelson LLP in the Chambers UK Legal Guide 2024
Richard Nelson LLP recognised in The Legal 500 for 2024
Contact our legal advice specialists today.
Are you interested in Coroner Inquests?
Use the form on the right to get in touch with our team and arrange an initial call to discuss your situation. We will use this no-obligation, fully confidential initial call to learn more about your case and help you understand your options going forward.
"*" indicates required fields