GDC Lawyers for Dentists
Richard Nelson LLP’s dental solicitors have significant experience in representing dentists, dental technicians and other dental care professionals in GDC fitness to practise investigations and hearings. Our dental lawyers have provided legal representation for a variety of dental professionals, from student dentists to dentists who own large practices; both NHS and in the private sector.
The General Dental Council investigates a variety of fitness to practise complaints against dentists from concerns raised by patients, employers, the police and other professionals. Complaints can also come from the Dental Complaints Service, which is funded by the GDC and receives initial complaints about private dental care.
Complaints of dentist misconduct can be varied, but may include issues such as:
- Practising without professional indemnity insurance;
- Fraudulent claims for non-existing NHS work;
- Improper relationships with patients;
- Inadequate dental treatment;
- Alcohol/drug dependency;
- Criminal convictions/cautions;
- Failure to obtain informed patient consent;
- Having an ineffective complaints procedure;
- Scope of practice issues for dental technicians.
The GDC Firness to Practise Committees
The GDC has three separate fitness to practice committees that deal with dentist’s fitness to practice cases based on the nature of the allegation against them:
- The Professional Conduct Committee – deals with allegations that a dentist’s fitness to practise is impaired due to allegations relating to misconduct;
- The Professional Performance Committee – deals with allegations that a dentist’s fitness to practise is impaired due to clinical performance which is consistently below an acceptable standard. In cases of this nature the GDC will often consider a performance assessment to assist them to objectively assess the dentist’s clinical performance;
- The Health Committee – deals with allegations that a dentist’s fitness to practise is impaired due to the registrant’s own ill health.
Our Dental Lawyers
Our dental lawyers represent dentists through all stages of a GDC fitness to practise investigation; from initial referral to preparing written representations to the Investigating Committee, to representing dentists before the Interim Orders Committee, the Professional Conduct Committee and the Professional Performance Committee.
We work with dentists to establish a clear strategy for their case from the outset. We prepare robust defences to disputed allegations and, where necessary, we present convincing mitigation. We always have the clear objective of obtaining the best possible outcome for dentists.
Our GDC lawyers also work alongside our criminal defence team if a dentist is accused of criminal offences, to ensure that a multidisciplinary approach is taken to provide the best defence team.
Independence from defence organisations
As GDC solicitors, we regularly defend dentists on a nationwide basis, who are not members of a defence organisation, or who have been refused representation by their union. Unions may refuse cover if an allegation relates to a dentist’s private life, or if issues of dishonesty are alleged. Our dentist lawyers also have experience of representing dentists who, for various reasons, have been practising without indemnity cover.
We are completely independent of any defence organisation and therefore we provide dentists with a personal and discrete service, maintaining complete confidentiality.
Our defence lawyers have expertise in representing dentists, dental professionals and dental students with GDC fitness to practise investigations and with a variety of other regulatory problems such as:
– GDC Fitness to Practise
– GDC Investigating Committee responses;
– GDC Professional Performance Committee;
– GDC Health Committee;
– GDC Professional Conduct Committee;
– GDC Interim Orders Committee;
– GDC Appeals
– Criminal Investigations and proceedings;
– GDC Registration advice;
– GDC Registration Appeals Committee;
– GDC Restoration Applications;
– Police investigations and criminal proceedings for dentists;
– Assistance in disclosing issues to the GDC;
– Commercial Disputes;
– GDC Hearings
– University fitness to practise investigations for student dentists;
Our multidisciplinary team is made up of specialists in a wide range of services, which means you'll always be represented by an expert in your area.
No-strings initial call
Get in touch to arrange a no-obligation, fully confidential call to discuss your case and work out if you want to continue.
Speak to solicitors in one of our offices throughout England and Wales, or arrange calls and remote meetings.
Proudly proving excellence
Stay in touch with Richard Nelson LLP.
Richard Nelson LLP earns Great Place To Work Certification
Defence Engagement during a Police Investigation
Why you need proper legal advice and assistance with a Minded to Bar matter
Contact our legal advice specialists today.
Are you interested in GDC Law for Dentists?
Use the form on the right to get in touch with our team and arrange an initial call to discuss your situation. We will use this no-obligation, fully confidential initial call to learn more about your case and help you understand your options going forward.